Clive is an old community, but a young city, incorporated on October 9, 1956. Maps dated in the 1870's first show Clive as a small settlement clustered around the intersection of Walnut Creek, a railroad and a county road. The community was an early rail shipping point and coal mining area. It was platted on January 18, 1882 by the Union Land Company. Four of Clive's first buildings still remain.