The town of Woodward was born when the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Constructed its lines through the community the depot was constructed. The original name for the town was decided upon as Colton, another town had already adopted the name so the name was changed to Woodward. The City was incorporated in August 1883. The first Council meeting was Dec. 18, 1883 called to order by Mayor W.S. Craft.